Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Solens in Altec 19

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Triode54's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2006
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone used Solen polypropylene film capacitors to replace the old electrolytic caps in the crossovers?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    I have at the advice of DGWojo. They start out kinda bright, but as they "burn in", they mellow. You'll like them. You do have to do a bit of stacking on the crossover base, since they are considerably larger than the stock 'lytic caps.....

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    attachmentphp?attachmentid46343&ampd1176210023

    Here's a before and after comparison picture....

    <font color="#FFFFFF"><font size="1">[ June 03, 2008 11:11 PM: Message edited by: analog addict ]</font></font>

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 03, 2008 11:12 PM: Message edited by: analog addict ]</font>

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey analog,,,

    no pics show up in my browser......

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The pic link originates in an AK thread, where you must be registered and logged in to view. If AA stays logged in there, he can probably view it here, but none of the rest of us can.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry....forgot about that problem. Here it is from another location.....

    n1316738 33336329 3410

  7. #7
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's better. I can see the picture now, but I'm not seeing any electrolytic caps...? forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 08, 2008 07:26 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member analog addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2007
    Posts
    521
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The "before" crossover is on the left. It has those classic black with red endcap leaky electrolytics that I've also found in Jensens, Wharfedales, etc.

    Very popular in the 70's, and very leaky in the new century.....

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yeah, I see the caps, I'm just saying they're not electrolytics. forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ June 08, 2008 07:27 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  10. #10
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a bag full of those old style caps removed from old altec XOs. What type are they Feesh and are they just landfill material at this point? Some say Benic and others Callins and a few just have numbers.

    I replaced them with caps from Parts Express, Daytons I believe and Dwojo advised me which ones to get and even sent a few. Can't hear any difference at all so as far as I'm concerned cheap is good.

    Watched allot of threads about designer caps, some costing $30-$50 each and never heard anyone rave about them. Guess I kind of religated that entire issue to the same place as the designer cable discussions we so love here.

    Somehow, I find it pretty hard to imagine any properly functioning cap to be all that much better then another one that is also doing it function properly.

    Gary

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.